Sunday, December 4, 2011

Three Days to Go - Rocks!

Last night on the way to Mass the most spectacular sunset lit up the sky over the church and made the short walk rather spectacular and a lot longer as I spent a while taking photos. I’ll certainly miss the amazing Balgo sky displays, often so spontaneous and random one could miss them if they were inside for only five minutes.



As my last mass in Balgo, the church service last night was rather special. Aware of my imminent departure Sister Alice asked me to do the blessing with Madeleine. In churches back home one would bless themselves with Holy Water before entering the church however in Balgo this happens during the mass and two people walk around with a coolamon and gum leaves, splashing water over every parishioner. I got to wear a church stole and felt rather honored that such a special task was bestowed upon me, especially considering I’m not even a church leader!

During the Blessing Song at the end, myself along with departing staff and ill community members received a special blessing. Cathy blessed me, asking Mama Kankarra to send the Holy Spirit to look over me as I made my way back to Perth, thanking me for the time I have spent in Balgo. It was very special and quite moving and even though I was basically farewelled by the community at this stage, it still has not hit me that I’m leaving. Even now, I look around my room and see my belongings packed already (I’ve been trying to do this so I’m not stressing during my final days and can take everything in and enjoy it for what it is) things are not yet surreal. I wonder when it will hit!

The Blessing Song


  
Packing until 3am in the morning left me with a desperately needed sleep in. Fortunately I am now fully packed meaning that the last few days can be enjoyed fully without me stressing over what needs to go in what bag and how I’m going to organize everything neatly. Considering at times I would wake up in the middle night freaking out about how I would get everything home, it’s a huge relief knowing that the problem is solved. Many thanks to Ben and Trish who took quite a heavy bag home with them the other day, along with my roll of paintings. That helped a lot!

Liz and Tom asked me if I’d like to go for a drive in The Pound with them and of course, I jumped at the chance. This would be the last time I’d ever be able to see the beautiful land and despite the bumpy drive I loved the few hours we spent out there. Tom drove over to the dam and we sat for a while watching Cassius, Lily and Darcie jumping from a low lying tree into the water, getting some great photos while they were in mid air. I love the care free nature of the kids and will certainly miss their antics.

The Dam

Darcie in mid air.

Liz told me a story about her finding a fossil in the area and was surprised to find that I hadn’t picked any rocks to take home with me. After thinking about it for a while, I deemed it rather strange myself and decided I’d pick a few souvenirs to take home, especially considering the rocks around Balgo are so beautiful and unique. We headed over to the lookout and saw the ruins of the goat shed where Cathy was born and I loved seeing it from such a good angle. It provided me some great photography opportunities as well!





I came home, went for a walk to The Lookout and came back just as a car full of my students with their father were driving past. They ushered me over wanting to show me something and I was surprised to discover that they had captured a python, holding it as casually as ever in the car. It was very placid and I gamely gave it a few pats, amazed by the calm nature of the animal. I was told that instead of eating it, the snake would be kept as a pet, quite good really considering it appeared to be very friendly!

This is the beautiful Nativity scene that is outside the parish house. Children stop to admire the beautiful statues and Christmas Tree and it looks even better at night with fancy fairy lights decorating the figurines. It’s so beautifully Christmassy!



1 comment:

  1. What a remarkable sunset. How fortunate you were to have witnessed it. It is quite symbolic really, when you think about it. Seeing an amazing colours in the sky that God had painted while you were on your way to church for the last time in Balgo, being blessed and blessing others in the community as well must have been a privilege.

    It sounds like the trip to the pound was a time to enjoy the scenery and just “chillax.” Time has flown so quickly and taking stock of the scenery and enjoying the sights, sounds and smells would have been incredible to experience.

    It is great to be able to observe the children and the freedom they have. It took me back to when I was little and we used to walk around the orchard in bare feet, wander up to the dam for a swim – without parents, chase the chooks around and have several cats following while I went with Nonna to milk the cow. Nonna used to squirt the cow’s milk in the air while she was milking and the cats would jump up to swallow it. It was so funny. Then there were the trips up to Southern Cross and we used to play hide and seek in the wool shed, hiding behind the wool bales or down the sheep chute. It was loads of fun. How different your life has been and how sad you have not been able to experience what I did.

    Please bring me some Balgo rocks back. Remember our amazing camping trip from Ningaloo Reef to the wondrous gorges of Karijini when Dad’s catch cry was one rock, one shell; that’s all you can bring home, but we brought back so many more than one.

    I love the Nativity scene side the church. I am glad the children are getting excited. I know I am.

    Love you more but.

    ReplyDelete