Monday, December 5, 2011

Two Days to Go – Presentations, Presents and Pearls

Things are coming to a close and with this the last week of school, exhaustion is dotting the faces of every teacher, classes are stripped bare as work is handed back to students and kids are bouncing around as Christmas is tossed casually into every conversation. It makes me glad to be finishing with the year as I feel a part of the finalities and the celebrations that come with the end of a school year. It has been amazing working with students from basically the beginning of 2011 to now, being able to see their improvement and the people they are growing into.

I commemorated the relationships I have had with the Primary C class especially as I wrote personal messages in each of their Christmas cards. As most of the kids were here when Santa came, we included a class photo with the big man, as well as an individual picture of them receiving their present and with candy canes attached and messages from both Jenny and I written inside, the students all found them quite special. I am amazed by the leaps and bounds each and every child has made and it is pleasing to know that despite my lack of qualifications when it comes to teaching, I facilitated a small percentage of their achievements. Now I can see why teaching is such a rewarding career!

Luurnpa had their Semester 2 reports handed out today as well as a community mass and awards presentation. Just as La Salle had their Presentation night at the Convention Centre last night, Luurnpa did it in a similar fashion, but Balgo style. Out on the grass, everyone was chilled and enjoyed the light summer air while the younger non-school aged kids ran around the playground, stomachs rumbling as the smoke from the sausage sizzle cooking wafted over. It was a very pleasant and enjoyable evening and a great way to not only wrap up the year but thank Mama Kankarra for the good times and congratulate the children who have proven to be outstanding students.

Father John celebrated mass first up, with Frena and Alex serving as altar servers. Apparently Frena was the first female altar server the Balgo church had had in a while and she was greatly honored to break the drought. The sun was just setting over the school as mass was begun and the cool breeze made the whole ceremony very pleasant. I love the outdoor masses in Balgo. In such a beautiful place, it makes so much sense to give thanks outside and with nature.

Frena and Alex.

Julian, Kailas, Me, Charles and Moses.

 

The children receiving blessings.

After mass Brother Rick bid farewell to a few staff members who were leaving, including Henry and me. I hadn’t realized this was going to happen and was rather on the spot when asked to make a few words, but luckily I always have something to say and despite a few awkward pauses when my brain failed to keep up with my mouth, all was well. I received a lovely card, signed by all the children who were in school today, so beautiful it nearly made me cry. Their childish handwriting and crayon letters have been taken for granted up until this point and I believe it’s probably finally hitting me that I will be home this time next week, back into the hustle and bustle of city life. Hopefully I have come to appreciate the serenity and laid back nature of the desert, because after Year 12 and before I begin Uni, I believe it to be exactly what the doctor ordered!

The presentation ceremony concluded the night. Awards were given to students in each year who showed the most improvement, who were the best academically and who were the most kind and caring. In Primary C, Danielle and Frena very deservingly received academic awards, Julian and Sharelle received citizenship prizes while Shonielle and Antonio were acknowledged for having made the most improvement. I was so proud of them, knowing especially how hard each child worked for every bit of praise and recognition they so rightly deserved.

Back at the ranch, I was presented with my own little gift from Jenny and Jim (thanks to technology Jim was able to share in the present giving despite being back home in Geelong). As a thank you/good luck/farewell gift I was given by the people who have come to be my family a stunning pearl necklace with matching earrings. As you can see by the photos below, they were truly stunning and having come from Broome, a lovely reminder of my time up in the Kimberley. Words cannot express how thankful I was for such a generous gift and of course, I was moved to tears!

So pretty!

Today I watched as a plane circled above the community, wondering what I will be feeling when I’m the one up there, looking down. Will I be sad for the time to be over, happy for the memories I have, excited for the future or wondering if I’ll ever come back? Eventually I concluded I’d feel all these emotions. This place has truly touched my heart and hopefully made me a better person, and despite feeling sad that my time has ended, I’m glad to have had this amazing and life changing opportunity and know that it has put me in a fabulous position to continue my life on the path of St. John Baptist de La Salle.

1 comment:

  1. How strange to see the classrooms bare of the colourful creations of the children, just showing the plain walls lacking any emotion whatsoever. I guess I can liken it to December 1st when all the Christmas decorations go up, and then when time to take them all down the house seems so boring and lacking excitement.

    How wonderful to see the children learn and progress from day one to the end of the year. It is such a delight to recognize the achievements and triumphs of each child no matter how large or small.

    While reading about your Presentation night I was visualising the Matthew Gibney Carols night, sitting on the grass listening to all the classes one by one sing their songs they have been practicing all term. Like Balgo, the snaggers cook with the smell wafting around while the breeze eventually brought the jumpers out, not like in Balgo. Jumpers are definitely not a requirement in Balgo in December.

    How wonderful for Frena to be honoured with alter serving at the presentation Mass. She looks so beautiful in the photo. I just love the photos of the church so to have mass celebrated outside enjoying the beauty of the building must be something so very special.

    The card the children gave you is gorgeous and it will be something to treasure for years to come. And your gift from Jenny and Jim? OMG Stephanie, you are one lucky girl.

    As you go through the motions of cleaning classroom, taking down artwork, packing your bags; too many times, the fact you are leaving would be feeling rather odd. It may even take a few days after leaving Balgo for it to truly hit.

    You have always been a kind hearted person, even from an early age when you would give me your last lolly from your lolly bag, even though I did not need it. I know you will always be inspiring and there is no doubt you will continue on in life following the path of St John Baptist de La Salle.

    ILY

    ReplyDelete