So I just realized that I haven’t really done a fantastic job explaining what the hell I’m doing in the middle of the West Australian desert for nine months, or better yet, why I’m spending my first year of freedom fresh out of high school here. To be honest, I couldn’t imagine being anywhere else. After working so hard during my secondary education years without many breaks from study, the thought of going straight into a six year medicine degree, plus internship and residency without really doing anything for myself kind of freaked me out. But when I tell people that, they usually respond with ‘you’re volunteering in the middle of nowhere, giving up ten months for others. That hardly constitutes as you time!’
They couldn’t be more wrong. Being out here for only a week, I have grown to better appreciate my life. Sure, I don’t live in a mansion, drive the best car (although my car is pretty awesome) or have designer clothe but I understand that even in Australia, I could be so SO much worse off. These kids have taught me that you don’t need much to be happy. They have taught me to be a kid again, to watch the clouds morph into funny shapes, learn a strange language just because I can and most of all do things because I want to (which is kind of a pain when you’re trying to teach them but oh well!) The kids of Balgo are certainly the richest children I have ever known, not because they have things you can buy, but they have the things you can’t buy.
How did this all come about? From Years 8-12 I attended La Salle College in Middle Swan/Viveash/Midland; wherever the council has re-written the suburb line that year basically! Our ideals were based on those of Saint John Baptist de La Salle, a French saint and the patron saint of teachers who founded the first schools for the poor in the sixteen hundreds. I can honestly go on for ages about this amazing man but Google him; he’s practically famous! Anyway, in my last year I was Head Girl and in January last year I travelled with my Head Boy and deputies to a place called Kincumber in New South Wales, where we met with all the leaders from La Sallian schools around Australia, New Zealand and Papua New Guinea. Sure, I knew what being La Sallian was all about, but never before had I seen it be put into practice so beautifully. We were all connected by one common man and that really touched my heart.
In April of the same year I was fortunate enough to attend the La Sallian Youth Gathering in Adelaide. It was here that fabulous volunteer experiences were put forward; short term ones for two weeks and then the longest, Share the Mission which lasted for the entire year. Basically the gist with this program was that young volunteers would be placed in La Sallian schools situated in areas of need. I applied, was successful and the rest is history! There are ten young people in the 2011 intake with two in Mangare in New Zealand, three in Scarborough in Queensland, two in Castle Hill in New South Wales and the best lot, Henry, Alejandro and myself chilling here in Balgo. One week in and I could not imagine being anywhere else. I strongly recommend people applying for this amazing program later in the year.
I hope that explains a little bit! J

steph the red dirt matches your communist ways!
ReplyDeletelove the part about la salle changing their suburb every year haha, HOPELESS!
looks like your having an amazing time.
happy international womens day (for yesterday)when we are running the world in a few years we'll have to catch up for coffee together on IWD :)
still cant believe someone can be so rich without expensive labels.
all the best and God bless.
love your sworn enemy xx
Wish I was 30 years younger, and was able to have the opportunity you are having.
ReplyDeleteHey my sworn enemy. So glad to have a stalker like you :)
ReplyDeleteI'm pretty sure coffee is too tame for us. Next IWD day we'll create a new type of flapper and revolutionise womens rights. Sounds more like us!
aw that's sweet :)
Ciao bella. Keep well xox
You and "anonymous" are so cute Steph x
ReplyDeleteGlad to see you an already see the value in what you are doing.. I have the upmost admiration for you xx
Jo
you loved the thrill of reading my comment, i might even go as far as saying it made your day!
ReplyDeleteily bella xx
all these comments make my day :)
ReplyDeleteGreat to read all the stuff we used to discuss in history class lives on! Well done socialis "Slappers"!!!! RKE
ReplyDeletei still get laughts out of reading the comments on this particular post
DeleteHAHA slappers :)
ReplyDelete