Thursday, March 31, 2011

Thank GOD for a free clinic!

So at the moment I'm experiencing the ill effects that Balgo has on my immune system. In the past week, I have been to the clinic twice, have been placed on one type of antibiotic for a sinus infection, had a civilised disagreement (fight) with the doctor who wanted to put me on ANOTHER type of antibiotic for another infection (the antibiotics are disgusting and make me feel shocking, so I told the doctor I wouldn't take them unless he'd guarantee I'd get better, which he couldn't so I was like 'no way man!' So he gave me something else which is working way better. BAM! Mum would be proud!) and am developing a chest infection so will most likely be back at the clinic some time tomorrow, or Monday. Absolute joy! Here, even if you get a little bit sick they recommend you get treated before it gets out of control, which it usually does. The most annoying part is that the boys appear to be perfectly healthy, even though I eat more vegetables than them and take way more vitamins. But talking to those around me, it appears that I am going through the 'Initiation' stage of entering Balgo for an extended period of time. It is the time of the stay where ones body realises 'hey, I'm here for longer than two weeks! And there are WAY more crazy bugs around here! Better get immuned up!' So getting immuned up means getting every infection I can in a month so I'll be dandy for the next eight. Charming. But never before have I been so grateful for a free clinic. I haven't yet had to pay for a doctors visit or consult, nor the varying types of medication I have been put on. And, all the nurses and the one doctor there have remembered me, so going to the clinic is like going to visit old friends, who give you medicine, good drugs (the legal kind) and have a working TV! Ah, the clinic <3

In other news, I cooked the most amazing roast chicken last night that would have certainly made all those back home who joked as to the terribleness of my cooking skills bow down at my feet with apologies of extended lengths. No joke, it was amazing. As well as roast chicken, we had roast potatoes, caramelised carrots, roast pumpkin, baby beans and gravy. Definitely feast of the week! I'm getting the hang of this whole cooking thing and am even improvising. The other day, I turned an ordinary damper into a SWEET damper with the addition of copious amounts of Vanilla Essence, sugar and Cinnamon and served it with custard. Delightful! Pretty sure I could win Masterchef now. Or at least Junior Masterchef.

This week has gone incredibly quickly. The Primary D kids are working really hard with this game that Steve made, where they get five cards and have to make the biggest number and then learn how to say that number. It's teaching them place values and Kingston, Bart and Sampson who I work with most days have gone from learning two place values to three, and they're pretty keen on learning thousands. I am so proud of them, especially Bart who is coming to school every day with his uniform on, not running away and working super hard. He got PATHS Kid the other day (like Star of the Day). In Primary C, the kids have gotten so good at swimming thanks to Jenny and Henry for thier swimming lessons. My role during this time is standing at the end of the pool with my foot out. The kids have to touch my foot and do another lap and this ensures they don't cut across half the pool and only do half a lap, which they are quite inclined to do! They are also learning heaps about Lent and what are some of the good things to do during this special time.

I went on the bus run on Tuesday and Wednesday and it was great to meet the kids families and learn where abouts in Balgo they live. I also realised who were siblings, which was crazy! Two kids in my Primary D class, Alex and Jayden are brothers and I never even realised until now. I am really loving the locals. Delina's dad, one of our Kindy parents tried to get me and Henry to take a few puppies off their hands. We were pretty keen, but realised we weren't allowed pets inside and share our yard with three other houses so not the best idea. But they are all so welcoming and kind and the boys have been offered a place on the Balgo footy team. For obvious reasons, I have not...

The hardest thing I have found in Balgo is learning not to laugh when one of the kids does something really bad. Delina, who is four gave Henry the rude finger the other day and called him a really REALLY naughty word. And I know I shouldn't have laughed (and I laughed so she DIDN'T see), but seeing a four year old do that is kind of really cute, especially Delina because she would have to be the smallest kid in Balgo. However we were talking the other night about things that are funny this year that wouldn't be funny if we were here for a number of years and were the kids actual teachers, and their rowdy behaviour is an example of that. On Tuesday the Kindy kids locked their teacher in the classroom and then on Wednesday decided to climb onto all the roofs. To me, that's kind of hilarious, a, because I'm not used to it and b, because I'm not the person dealing with it. But I can truly see how the kids make the teachers so exhausted. But really, they are the BESTEST kids EVER! I love them all so dearly already.

This weekend, the boys are playing cricket again and I'm sure I'll find something equally as exciting to do. And then on Sunday Brother Lou is taking us three hours away to Sturt Creek so see it flooded. I am really looking forward to that one; it's meant to be insane! And of course, I'll be taking my waterproof camera so you'll get some great pictures. Thank god for the weekend!

Dinner :)

The Pound tonight


Sunset


4 comments:

  1. How frustrating for you, that you are getting sick all the time and the boys staying healthy, especially when you eat the good foods and they don't. Dad is coming up soon; I will take all his clothes out and put "bad foods" into the suitcase instead. See if it will make you fell better. How does that sound. I find it amazing you are far, far away of all the pollution, fast food, sugary foods and you are probably getting more exercise than ever and still get sick. You can be positive and say it is because you are detoxifying. What do you think?
    I know we tease you about your lack of domestic skills, you know cleaning and cooking but I now eagerly await you returning home and cooking dinner for me. That would be awesome! However, do not expect me to bow down at your feet with apologies. You should know that will not happen in this house:)
    When you are a Mum and your little darlings misbehave, I am going to laugh my head off. That way you will feel as annoyed as the poor teacher that got locked in the classroom. You are just as devilish as the little darling climbing the roof. I am sure they love you as you love them. Who wouldn’t!
    Love and kisses to you Sweetie. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks mum, that sounds like the best idea! I could just give them food poisoning but seeing as im an amazing chef that may be a bit hard!! Yeh i was going to the gym every day and then i got sick, and i tried running yesterday but just gave up and walked. Lesson learned, wait until im better! It's very ironic, you're right!! Totally detoxifying!!!
    Aw shucks, can't wait to cook you dinner either! And be super clean :)
    The kids sure do love me. I had one girl hugging me for ten minutes today. Probably caught nits off her but it was worth it! Felt the love and it made me feel better :)
    Much love. Ily xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome photos Steph.
    It sounds like your boys should stepup and start taking care of you for a change!!
    Regards
    Bernard (Henry's old man)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks :)
    Yeh the boys are taking care of me. Henry made me brekky in bed when i was super sick, so they're great!

    ReplyDelete