This weekend, and it was the only thing I heard about for the entire week, the boys were involved in the maiden Balgo 'White Fella' cricket test, to be played at the Police Station with about twenty other guys. However, numbers dwindled down to half of that and teams were comprised of skilled and unskilled players which made it quite interesting seeing as everyone had to bat, field, wickie and bowl. I tried and tried to get a spot on a team and believed my intense cricket experience would very much benefit one of the teams and guarantee them a win but was told that being a female, I was ineligible. Boy did I kick up a fuss about that! I headed down to watch the game anyway and cheered on the guys, laughing at the serious lack of coordination many of them had. Finally when the first test was played, the guys asked, no, begged me to play, but were left feeling unlucky when I refused. In all honesty, I couldn't bear to show them up.
Payback was sweet today when I was asked to go on an all women hunting trip down in the Pound. It was the first time any of us had being down there and despite the fact that we didn't go very far due to wet roads, it was quite a trip. We stopped by the dam, a potential camping spot if the amount of ants die down and chilled for a few hours playing in the mud, finding lizards and letting our arson side come out. The kids enjoyed lighting the spinifex surrounding the camp on fire which kept a fair amount of mozzies away and we also made a mud castle and mud cake. One thing I've learnt about these so called hunting trips is that when the roads are inaccessible, it definitely means a lazy afternoon and is probably one of the reasons the women bring so much food. Cathy Lee brought potatoes, soup and a chicken and roasted it over a camp fire for a few hours until it was cooked enough to eat. The kids enjoyed throwing mud at each other and unlike last time, I stayed out of their way and was not a target. However the most interesting part of the trip was being able to cram about fifteen people into one troupie. I was squashed up against the door next to Cathy and kept hitting my head on the door whenever we went over a bump. That explains why I feel so woosy now! But it was a great afternoon and definitely beats the boys day of playing FIFA all day with Anthony. We were planning to go to the waterfall today but will make that a next weekend thing. I love not studying anymore and being able to plan great things to do on weekends! :)
The Dam. Hard to believe we're in the middle of the desert
Sheralie, Sherelle, Leonie and Lyn
MUD!
Callum
The poor lizard that the kids found and proceeded to torture for the next hour.
Me, Lizard and Sheralie
Product of arsonists
Leonie
Danica
Lunch
The girls
Our Mud Pie













Hey Steph,
ReplyDeleteSounds like another fab day in the desert. From a girl who sceamed at every insect in the house, to holding a lizard is amazing to see. l had to look at the photo many times.
Dad was impressed about the chicken roasting on the campfire. Maybe you can arrange that for him when he comes up.
You should of seen his face light up when he heard spinifex and fire in the same sentance. He is still a kid.
I so love the red dirt. Can you put some in a jar for me....and maybe some rocks as well, please. I can just imagine what your dad will say when you giveit to him. hehe
Love you.
Hi Steph,
ReplyDeleteI have loved reading about your exploits to date. You make me smile and laugh with your recounts, thank you :-)
Sounds and looks like you are experiencing the experience of a lifetime.
Your description of the red dirt and red mud brings back many memories - some good and some not so good! I remember my daughters and their friends frolicking in the mud after rain. I just hosed them off afterwards - no way was I letting them near my shower - and the white tiles!! I remember the red dirt in all the cracks and crevices of our vehicle and on moving back to Perth, after several weeks I realised I did not have a great tan after all! Just the red dirt embedded in my skin :-( Darn, now I have to use spray on tan! SJBDLS I pray for you Live Jesus in your heart Forever Kindest regards Mrs R
Hi again Steph, pt2 of my comment! As I prep for my 'Are We There Yet?' Australian tour round this great country your blog reminded me to pack multiple cans of Aeroguard, fly spray, surface spray, mosquito netting and a fly squat for back up!! Thanks for helping me update my AWTY shopping list :-)
ReplyDeleteHave a great week. Say hi to Kion for me - he may recall me when he was working on the computer writing his 'Introduction to Me' page. SJBDLS I pray for you Live Jesus in your heart Forever Kindest regards Mrs R
Hey Mum :)
ReplyDeleteI never screamed at things in the house. Only cockoroaches, and I still do because they are gross. I doused one yesterday in mortein and it still took an hour to die. Disgusting! We'll definitely cook a chicken over a fire. It didn't look too hard and we can do it in our yard, so that is pretty great! We'll have to make sure the store has chickens though, it doesn't have much else at the moment. Just drove 40km away for bread for the school!
Dad, we can light as many fires as you like when you're up here.
The dirt is soo cool. It's like purple as well. Will try and get some!
much love
xox
Hi Ms. Reger :)
ReplyDeleteI am so glad you're reading the blog, and that it's bringing back memories for you. Definitely remember the aeroguard; just got eaten alive at the gym. And bedadine because it's super easy to get infections up here! Lucky the clinic is free!
Our house is absolutley caked with red dirt. Whenever I mop, the water always turns red. Hard to escape!
I will definitely tell Kion you said Hi. He was actually telling me about you the first week I was here! Great kid :)
Keep well,
Steph
xox
How excited is "Fireman Sam" going to be when he gets up to Balgo this Easter and gets to play with camp fires!
ReplyDeleteLuv ya
xxx
hey steff im just a kiwi lad browsing around on the net and some how found your blog. just wanted to wish you well and looks like you are creating a lot of lovely memories good on ya mate
ReplyDelete